1/31/2014

Kvelertak - 'Meir' (2013)

Kvelertak

'Meir'

Indie Recs.

2013



What is Kvelertak, I propable don't have to explain. There is enough fuzz about Norwegians in the mainstream metal press, so that everybody should know something about them and their music. So without more empty words - let's skip this intro and focus on the music.
OK, first of all - Kvelertak still have their original style that I liked very much. Still very rock'n'roll - in my opinion even more than on the previous album. The music is also more melodic, and generally speaking 'Meir' has defenitely more in common with classic hard rock, punk than with extreme genres (although there are exceptions - vocals, and the track 'Nekrokosmos' which is kinda heavy). At the first look, everything is fine - the music is even more pugnacious, and tracks such as 'Braune Bren' or 'Snilepisk' sounds really great. I remember how excited I was about them when the album was released. Even the clean vocals, which irritated me on the debut, here are done in an awesome way. It seems that I should kneel on my knees and prostrate...
Maybe I should, but it won't happen. Unfortunetely - after a longer time the music looses much of it's magic. I was wondering why, and I think that now I know the answer. Most of the tracks are simply TOO melodic - comparing too the first album, which was much more rawer. OK, there were melodies too, but here we got too much of those melodic solos, choirs and stuff like that. Want a proof? Just try to listen to such 'Evig Vandrar' or 'Undertro' a few times in a row - you will quickly get what I am talking about. Of course, if somebody is permeated by the hard rock, or melodic genres - he/she can welcome such riffing with open arms. Yet I am a bit dissapointed.
But hey - don't get me wrong! The music is still very listenable (except too long 'Tordenbrak'...), but unfortunetely it doesn't has the syndrom of 'I need too push the replay button once again!'. The debut album was fantastic, the second one is just good. I've spoken.

Rate: 7+/10
Vladyka
 
Check out band's music:

 
Tracklist:
1. Apenbaring
2. Spring Fra Livet
3. Trepan
4. Bruane Brenn
5. Evig Vandrar
6. Snilepisk
7. Manelyst
8. Nekrokosmos
9. Undertro
10. Tordenbrak
11. Kvelertak
Total time: 49:05

No comments:

Post a Comment