9/23/2013

Enslaved - RIITIIR (2012)

Enslaved

"RIITIIR"

Nuclear Blast

2012



For some reasons I have never really listen to the previous album of Norwegians, "Axioma Ethica Odini". I was constantly making excuses "that I will listen to it soon". And suddenly I was informed that Enslaved is going to release another album. So please forgive me that I will not compare "RIITIIR" to the previous longplay, 'cuz the only thing I've heard from "Axioma..." was a promo video for that album.
Forgive me also if you will be disappointed by this review, but I am not going to write about every complex of their last opus. Mainly because I have not much to say. I've been listening to this release for quite a long time, and I am still under a big impression of this album. But let me start from the beginning.
First of all, I don't know why but I feel that this material is much harder to listen than the previous ones. I don't know is it because of the production (a bit more sultry, I think) or that the band again goes into even more progressive areas. Yes, again - if someone likes only their early works, he can skip reading this article and go find something better to do. But back to the topic. As I said, the album is more difficult to listen, even that from the other hand it has definitely much more clean vocals than the rest of their creativeness. For example I listen now to "Materal", I'm in mid part f this track and I hear there a really good melodies and hypnotic clean vocals of keyboardist (Herbrand), turning into a great rock guitar solo and then slow, heavy parts with Grutle's howlings. 
This weird feeling that the album is heavier and more ethereal at the same time accompanied me in every replay. And there were quite many of them. I am not sure what I should think about it. But I am sure for one thing: I love it. Really - this album passess very quick (even duration is more than an hour) and it almost literally take you to some other world. 
If you are a fan of Enslaved, you can be sure that you will like this album. The band is consequently walking on their own path into more and more progressive areas. They sound is once again lighter, but from the other hand much more complicated and with many relishes. They have lost on this trail their primal raw, black metal sound and that's why some malcontent's will be spreading bullshit again. But you know what? I don't care, and it seems that Norwegians don't care either. "RITTIIR" is a parfect, complex album with so many feelings and ideas that you should definitely check it for yourself is it worth your time or not. 

Rate: 10/10
Vladyka

Tracklist:
1. Thoughts likeHammers
2. Death in the Eyes of Dawn
3. Veilburner
4. Roots of the Mountain
5. Riitiir
6. Materal
7. Storm of Memories
8. Forsaken

No comments:

Post a Comment